ymasumac.com->Contacts->Member Forum->View Thread
Please join the fan club today!
Member Forum
View Thread
Back to the Forum  Begin New Message

Original Message
Any video?
Hi everyone ;) I'm a fan of Yma from many years :) it's strange to not have anywhere any video of this great diva ;((I'm only 23 years old and I'd like to see her singing, there's no way to do this? hi from italy ;)
posted by Demetrio Zema on Thursday, June 3rd, 2004 at 4:51:23 AM
Respond to this Message

Responses
Any video?
The only commercial video available of Yma Sumac is her 1957 Hollywood film, Omar Khayyam, which is out on VHS tape only, and only in the U.S. NTSC video format.  Lots of live footage exists but it has never been released.
response posted by Don Pierson on Friday, June 11th, 2004 at 12:11:46 PM
Any video?
There's no way to find anyone who has filmed Yma live somewhere? it would be a dream to see her for the first time singin' and dancing...
response posted by Demetrio Zema on Friday, June 11th, 2004 at 2:28:49 PM
Any video?
There are, of course, a number of such videos around but they are bootlegs so their sale is illegal, and their quality is usually quite poor.  Few would play in Italy anyway because they are in the U.S. NTSC format.

There is also a rather obscure and odd film, called Musica de Siempre, from Mexico (1958) that has a clip of Yma Sumac lip-syncing to Chuncho while walking through a staged forest with live birds.  Although not released commercially either, it does show up from time to time in VHS NTSC format.  Watch eBay where it is bound to appear eventually.
response posted by Don Pierson on Friday, June 11th, 2004 at 2:33:06 PM

Any video?
There are several videos of Yma on YouTube these days. Just search for her name. They are illegal bootlegs, but I will buy licensed videos should any be released in the future.
response posted by David Bartell on Thursday, May 14th, 2009 at 3:24:18 PM